Today, we’ll be discussing Episode 13 and 14 of Mr. Sunshine, the hit K Drama on Netflix starring Lee Byung-hun as Eugene Choi, Kim Tae-ri as Go Ae-shin, Yoo Yeon-Seok as Goo Dong-mae, Kim Min-jung as Kudo Hina, and Byun Yo-han as Kim Hee-sung. We discuss:
- How the chameleon plant, which represents change and transformation, is a metaphor for these two episodes.
- How we go from Ae-shin and Eugene spending time together at the ocean, to Eun-san asking Ae-shin to kill Eugene; how did we get here?
- How Eugene has figured out who all four men in the photo are; this investigation is threatening The Righteous Army.
- How Eugene pieced everything together using the letters from Hamgyong province, the telegram from Hamgyong, and Joseph’s death.
- How Lee Jeon-moon and Eun-san see Eugene as a weakness for Ae-shin, as well as a threat to The Righteous Army, so he needs to die.
- We learn more about Ae-shin’s parents and how they died, as well as the reason her grandfather betrothed her to Hui-seung.
- How Hui-seung and Ae-shin’s grandfather both want Hui-seung to protect Ae-shin, but via different means.
- Dong-mae’s imprisonment and subsequent rescue by Eugene.
- The shifting loyalties and identities of Ae-shin, Eugene, Dong-mae, Hui-seung and Hina Kudo.
- How Eugene, Hui-seung and Dong-mae are all now actively helping each other.
- Our favorite lines from the two shows.
- The saeguk (historical) genre of K Dramas and why they are so popular.