In this episode, we recap and analyze Episodes 9 and 10 of Mr. Sunshine, the hit K Drama on Netflix starring Lee Byung-hun as Eugene Choi, Kim Tae-ri as Go Ae-shin, Yoo Yeon-Seok as Goo Dong-mae, Kim Min-jung as Kudo Hina, and Byun Yo-han as Kim Hee-sung. We’ll also talk about Byun ho-han, the actor who plays Kim Hui–seung. We talk about:
- How episode 9 is about Ae-shin and Eugene seeing more of each other, but in episode 10, they have decided to not see each other.
- Ae-shin’s moral dilemma: What is she really fighting for? Is there a place in Joseon for butcher’s sons? Is there a place for slaves?
- How Eugene has figured out a way to return the document to the King, while getting his revenge against Minister Lee Se-hun.
- The confusing language in these episodes. To whom was Eugene referring when he said, “There will only be 1 traitor tonight” after Lee Se-hun was killed? And what did Eugene mean when he referred to Ae-shin, saying “Where do I lie between her passion and her cruelty?”
- How the King of Joseon and the country are not in strong positions. The US, Japan, Russian and China all have their hooks on the country.
- How Dong-mae is bothered by the Righteous Army man who refuses to give up the names of his comrades, choosing to die rather than betray them. He wonders why he would do this?
- Lee Wan-ik’s lowly origins and his betrayal of Joseon. Also how the King got one on him by appointing him Minister of Farming and Trade.
- How Eugene, Dong-mae and Hui-seung are all trying to protect Ae-shin, even if they don’t all know the full story. They do all know that a person wearing a black, three-piece Western suit, with a limp, is a wanted individual.
- The themes in these shows: Class system, revenge, changing of heart, the importance of language
- The K Drama elements we see in these shows: food, clothing, flowers.
- The wonderful actor, Byun Yo-han, who plays Hui-seung.
K Drama Chat is a weekly podcast where we take one Korean (K) Drama each season and and recap and analyze each episode. K Drama Chat is available on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify and Stitcher.
Post a Comment
Thanks for your comment on this episode!