In this episode, we recap and analyze Episodes 5 and 6 of Mr. Sunshine, the hit K Drama on Netflix, starring Lee Byung-hun as Eugene Choi, Kim Tae-ri as Go Ae-shin, Yoo Yeon-Seok as Goo Dong-mae, Kim Min-jung as Kudo Hina, and Byun Yo-han as Kim Hee-sung. We’ll also talk about Byun ho-han, the actor who plays Kim Hui–seung. We talk about:
- How Ae-shin invited Eugene to “do love” even though she didn’t really know what it meant and how Eugene has finally accepted Ae-shin’s offer. We don’t think Eugene has the best intentions for accepting Ae-shin’s offer to “do love.”
- The three relationships that look like they can never be:
- Ae-shin and Eugene
- Ae-shin and Dong-mae
- Ae-shin and Hui-seung
- The document that everyone seems to be looking for. We finally know what it is and who had it.
- The key themes of identity and belonging and how we have five characters who seem to be part of multiple communities/cultures but don’t really belong anywhere.
- Eugene’s journey to find out what happened to his parents’ bodies after they were killed.
- The brewing bromance between Eugene, Dong-mae and Hui-seung.
- The K Drama elements we see in this episode: food, flowers, clothing, quirky friends.
- The amazing and hunky Lee Byung-hun
- Cairns and Korean burial mounds
- Memorial ceremonies in rural Korea
- KEPSO tracing Korea’s electricity history
- Wikipedia page on Lee Byung-hun
- Marriage and family in Korean Society
- Korean Speech and Honorifics
K Drama Chat is a weekly podcast where we take one Korean (K) Drama each season and and recap and analyze each episode. K Drama Chat is available on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify and Stitcher.
Post a Comment
Thanks for your comment on this episode!