In this episode, we recap and analyze episode 13 of Hotel Del Luna. We learn the story of guest manager Seo-hee. 200 years ago, her husband’s family let her baby daughter die, in order to make room for a son to be born. At her death, Seo hee curses the family. When the eldest grandson of the family dies a bachelor and without children, Seo hee is happy. Her happiness is short lived when she finds out the grandson had a pregnant girlfriend. When the girlfriend and her baby are close to death, Seon hee cannot bring herself to let them die, even at the expense of her grudge.
The ghost of serial killer Ji won is back and this time, he’s after Chan Sung’s friends: Sanchez, Lee Mi-ra and Yeon-soo. We also finally learn the story of the fateful night when Chyung Myung and Man Wol battle. Chyung Myung stabs himself with Man Wol’s sword and says that he will keep her in his heart and watch her from afar. At the end of the episode, Chan Sung runs into the tunnel to the afterlife (while looking for a lost boy), and is guided by the firefly who has been hanging out in the moon tree for 1,300 years!
We do a short recap of the show, and then we dive deep into the episode. We discuss:
- This week’s featured song from the Hotel Del Luna OST - Remember Me by Gummy.
- How K Drama Chat has gone up in rank on Feedspot’s list of Top K Drama Podcasts!
- We learn more about what happened between Man Wol and Chyung Myung on the wedding night of Chyung Myung and Song Hwa.
- How Chyung Myung killed himself with Man Wo’s sword and pledged to watch her from afar.
- How Chyung Myung is the firefly that has been hanging out in the moon tree for 1,300 years!
- Mago #5 or wealth Mago who brings luck and fortune to people and businesses.
- How we learn about Seo-hee and her backstory from 200 years ago. How her husband’s family left her baby girl to die and in her death, Seo hee cursed her husband’s death.
- How Seo hee couldn’t let the pregnant girlfriend of the eldest grandson, and her baby, die.
- The themes of remembering and forgetting in this episode.
- The East Asian obsession with having sons, which we think is stupid.
- The K Drama elements in this show:
- The Tansan product placement
- Beef short rib soup
- Alcohol, in this case champagne and the Tears drink of Mr. Kim
- Our favorite Man Wol outfits.
- Our favorite lines from the episode.
- Tiki Taka in K Dramas, or the rapid fire dialogue between the actors
- The K Dramas we're watching now. Joanna is watching The Crowned Clown, while Jen has been busy and not watching much.
- A discussion of the K Drama that we should recap and analyze next season!
- 40 Best Korean Drama Podcasts
- Why wasn’t Chocolate Popular in Korea?
- John Oliver’s K Drama Parody of Subway
- Coca Cola Korea Launches New Carbonated Water - The Tansan